Hidden Veggie Carrot Cake Muffins
Are you always trying to get your kid to eat more veggies like I am? I found a great combination of hidden veggies that still taste like a regular muffin!
While I am no great cook, I do love baking! Because of this, too often we have sweets around the house. So I'm always looking for healthy baking ideas. While looking for some hidden veggie recipes online, I came across a basic carrot cake muffin recipe that I wanted to try. The thing was, I did not have any carrots in the fridge. I did have zucchini and canned carrots, so I did a little experiment! They really turned out moist and wonderful! Yes, you do see a picture of a GoGo applesauce squeeze pouch in my ingredients, HA! It's what I had on hand, improvise when needed! Hey, it's not so much about being a professional baker, as it is getting your kid (and husband) to eat a healthy snack and think it's a "treat"! They can also be used as a cupcake base, just add cream cheese frosting! That's great if you are taking in a treat for kids at school! They won't know they are eating veggies, and there is NO sugar in the muffin recipe itself, which makes it a great option for kiddos (and everyone!). Recipe below.
Hidden Veggie Carrot Cake Muffins:
Yields: 12 muffins
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup honey
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup mashed canned carrots
1/2 cup shredded zucchini
1. Heat oven to 350* F. Prep muffin pans with 12 liners.
2. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt.
3. Add the butter, honey, egg, vanilla, mashed carrots and applesauce. Mix.
4. Fold in the shredded zucchini just until combined. Do not over mix.
5. Use a cookie scoop to add batter to the liners evenly. Bake for 16-18 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
6. Let them cool completely on a wire rack. They also freeze well!
Thanks for checking out this recipe! Let me know if you try them and how it goes! Enjoy!